Thursday, May 3, 2007

Doulaing

Well, I received the phone call today from the doula-hiring lady at the Mother Baby Center today and I am so excited! I have two tasks to complete before my interview:

1. Get a business license.

2. Write up a birth resume.

So now I have to come up with a name for my doula service. I was thinking about calling my business

Roots Down Doula Services

I would love to have some input on that one. Ask yourself, if I were searching for a doula, would this name grab my attention? Would it feel safe? What kinds of images does this business name evoke? Is it professional sounding?

Does it sound too hippy (or, as Louisa would put it, "woo woo")?

Please, please comment. Whomever you are that stumbles across the ground of my oh so earthly blog, please comment. Tell me what you think!

6 comments:

Addie said...

Yeah, it's a little wu-wu. But on the other hand, how many people who aren't at least a little wu-wu go looking for a Doula?

I'm not sure this name is perfect though - Roots are good, important parts of growth, but for babies & birthing & motherhood it seems like flowers & sprouts & seeds & fruit are more associative.

Janet said...

I like it. It does sound a little woo-woo to me, but I kind of expect that. You could always just use your name, and though that sounds professional, it doesn't exactly invoke any sort of imagery. I can think of lots of good logos for "root s down." There is that unfortunate Beastie Boys reference, though....
I like it.

By the way, thanks for the comments.

Aimee said...

I've always liked the image of a pregnant woman in the form of a tree, so that's what brought about "Roots Down."

But flowers and sprouts and seeds are good, too.

And there is the Beastie Boys reference, but I like the Beasties.

You'd be surprised how many "straight, normal" folks are seeking doulas these days, so I do need something that sounds professional. Hmmm...

Aimee said...

What about

"Mother and Child Doula Services?"

Or hubby's suggestion:

"Birthworm Doula Services."

Fishy said...

What about something that is derived from other parts of your life, like.....

"Juice Box Squeezers?"

or a song chorus like

"De Dou La La La
De Dou La La"

;)

Addie said...

Mother & Child Doula Services sounds professional, but a bit bland.

Birthworm Doula services is certainly creative, but it's a little, er, wierd. The picture that comes to mind - "birth" + "worm" - is NOT pretty. But I might just have an overactive imagination.

Back to the root idea, what about something like "Strong Roots" or "Deep Roots" or "Well Rooted Doula Services" ?